Thank you to everyone who nominated a math or science teacher. Nominations for 2017-18 will open on October 31st.
The Teachers in the Limelight Celebration (TLC) honors the dedicated work of teachers in AISD with campus recognition, a formal dinner, and a monetary award. A TLC teacher possesses integrity and a love for teaching that spills into the classroom. The dinner is underwritten by Abilene Teachers Federal Credit Union, with additional sponsorship by the Abilene Reporter News. Monetary awards are funded by an endowment established by Mr. Edwin Jennings, Jr., in honor of his parents Edwin and Agnes Jennings, Sr. Mr. Jennings’ desire for this event is to recognize, honor, and award monetary gifts to outstanding teachers in the Abilene Independent School District.
With the donation of 3,000 shares of ExxonMobile stock from Mr. Jennings, a permanent endowment has been established to honor teachers making a difference in the lives of students in Abilene ISD. This endowment will allow AEF to continue these awards annually for generations to come!
Each AISD campus nominates a teacher who has met the criteria established by Mr. Jennings. Each of these nominees is honored on one’s respective campus, featured in the news media, and receives a monetary gift of $200. The TLC dinner is held in April of each year, at which time one elementary and one secondary teacher is awarded an “Edwin and Agnes Jennings Teaching Excellence Award” and a monetary gift of an additional $1,300.
Mr. Jennings, due to his passion for teaching math and science, also wishes to honor a secondary math and a secondary science teacher with an “Edwin and Agnes Jennings Teaching Excellence Award.” Nominations for these awards are made by students, parents, colleagues, and community members, as well as school administrators. Six of the math nominees and five of the science nominees receive $500 each. Two of these nominees are presented an additional $1,000 and receive the “Edwin and Agnes Jennings Teaching Excellence Award,” as outstanding math and science teacher of the year.
Who can be nominated?
- Eligible nominees are certified teachers who teach at least one qualified math or science course to students in 8th – 12th grade. (Please Click Here for a list of eligible courses)
Who can nominate?
- Nominations will be accepted from administrators, parents, fellow teachers, students (current or former), or community members.
- 6 Math finalists will be chosen, and each will receive $500
- 5 Science finalists will be chosen, and each will receive $500
- From the finalists, an appointed committee will select one math teacher and one science teacher as the recipients of the Edwin and Agnes Jennings Teaching Excellence Awards for Math and Science Teachers. The two winners will each receive an additional $1,000.
Thank you to everyone who nominated a math or science teacher. Nominations for 2017 are now closed.